Saturday, September 4, 2010

Produce Co-Op Bounty

My friend Sascha, just turned me on to the coolest program ever! It's a produce co-op called "Bountiful Baskets"!! It is so cool I can't stand it. Like some of you, I have checked out the farmers markets locally in the summer and I even went so far as to check out the local CSA programs for fresh produce. Let me say that I am all done with that...the Bountiful Baskets program is economical and convenient. You don't have to commit to the whole season either! You pay week to week. The first time there is a fee of 3.00 which pays for the basket that the volunteers use to sort your haul of food but then after that it's $15.00 per week and look at all the goodies I got for my money:
2 Heads of romaine lettuce
1 Head of cauliflower
1 Bunch of broccoli
1 Head of cabbage
1 Honeydew melon
9 Bananas
14 Plums
7 Ears of corn
4 Beefsteak tomatoes
12 Nectarines
9 Oranges

WOW!!!

What to make with all of this? Well, for starters I will be making Chicken Corn Chowder and Cream of Broccoli Soup. Yes, it is already soup weather here is Seattle. A big salad with the greens and maybe just steam the cauliflower. The fruit? I am sure the kids will take care of that for me :)

Another cool thing is that the fruit isn't quite ripe yet so it's not like we have to rush to eat it. Every thing is uber fresh and you can't beat the price. Thank you Bountiful Baskets - you will see me again next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment