Sunday, September 5, 2010

Chicken Corn Chowder

Only in Seattle, can it be 80 degrees one day... and then 59 the next! This Labor Day weekend has been a bit gray so in honor of the weather (and my super cool produce co-op haul) I am making soup.

Chicken corn chowder is my interpretation of several recipes that I have adapted over a few years and so now I have this no-measurement version. I know, I know! But I will still give a recipe (even though the measurement may be "ish" instead of tbl)

This is great left over and really good with any kind of rolls. It's a stick-to-your-ribs kind of meal.Chicken Corn Chowder

Ingredients
2 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into ½ in cubes
5 ears of corn – with kernels removed
1 smallish onion chopped
½ package of bacon (I like center cut..there is less fat)
2 chicken breast from your fave. Grocery store’s deli – chopped into bit size cubes
1 package sliced mushrooms
1 package (Costco) or 1 cup or so of instant mashed potatoes
4-5 cups of chicken broth
1-2 cups of milk
My seasoning “to taste” or just salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large stockpot, fry bacon on med to med high heat until desired crispiness but slowly enough to render out as much fat as possible.
Meanwhile, take the corn off the cobs and set aside.
Remove bacon but leave all the fat in the pot – I know! Chop up the bacon into small pieces and set aside.
Add onions and saute until beginning to brown.
Add corn kernels to onion and saute for about 5 minutes or so. Until desired doneness. I still like mine a tad crunchy. Add some seasoning.
Dump the corn mixture into a bowl and set aside.
Add mushrooms and seasoning to the pot and saute until they are slightly browned but have lost their water.
Dump everything back into the pot including chicken, potatoes and bacon. Warm the chicken through.
Add chicken broth and simmer until potatoes are cooked 5-10 minutes.
Add milk and bring to simmer.
Slowly add instant potatoes until desired thickness. It will really depend on how much liquid you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment