Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cream of Broccoli Soup

So, in the super cool produce co-op haul I got a bunch of broccoli. The only thing I know how to do with it is steam it. Zzzzzzzzzzz. Oh wait, it's 55 degrees outside - I shall make soup!

Again a hybrid soup recipe. It was surprisingly easy. I found that some people puree theirs in a blender or mash with a potato masher. I did the blender thing and just pulsed it a couple of times so there was still texture but not big hunks of broccoli in the soup. I decided to add just a bit of cheese to the flour/milk mixture (I did it just like I do my mac and cheese) just because it seemed like it needed a little something. I was right. And I was pleased with myself that I added just enough cheese for a back note of flavor but not enough to turn it into a caloric cluster. I had a picture..but I can't find it now. This gives you a good opportunity to use your imagination. Imagine a picture of Cream of Broccoli Soup :)

Cream of Broccoli Soup
Ingredients:
1 Tb Butter
1/2 Onion - chopped
1 Stalk of celery - chopped
4 1/2 Cups of chopped up broccoli pieces
Salt and pepper to taste

Milk mixture
1 1/2 Tbl butter
1 1/2 Tbl flour
1 Cup milk
1/4 Cup shredded cheese


Melt 1Tb butter in a stock pot and saute onion and celery until tender. Add broccoli and broth, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until broccoli is fork tender.

Put soup in a blender (in batches if you need to) and blend to the desired consistency. Pour back into the pot.

In a separate sauce pan, melt 1 1/2 Tb butter, stir in flour and add milk. Stir until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Add to soup. Season and serve.
YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment