Monday, October 26, 2009

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Ahhhh Fall.

I am not a Halloween fan, never have been. I do, however, really get into Fall. I love the colors, the smells and cooking (and eating) Thanksgiving dinner. The tradition which rings in the Fall cooking season for me is roasting pumpkin seeds.

You either like them, or you don't. I am the latter, obviously. I have a friend who says that pumpkin seeds "taste like a farm smells" but I don't agree.

I think the key to perfectly roasted pumpkin seeds is slow roasting until they are golden brown but not burnt and just a bit of seasoning. Sometimes, a recipe will have a ridiculously short roasting time and it makes the seeds chewy and nasty. To get them just to crispy without burning them, I roast them on 275 for about 2 hours (give or take). Sometimes, the seeds will start making a popping sound in the oven and when that happens I will take them out.



Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Seeds from a pumpkin with as much of the guts removed as possible
2 Tablespoons olive oil - just enough to coat all of them...depending on how many
1-2 Teaspoons seasoning - I use the one we make at home (it's on the blog somewhere..search for it) or really any kind from salt and pepper to season salt

Preheat oven to 275
Dry off seeds as best as you can. Add oil and mix to coat. Spread out onto a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with seasoning.
Bake stirring every 30 minutes or so until golden brown.
Cool on wire rack covered in paper towels to get any extra oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment