Friday, October 9, 2009

How NOT to bake a big cookie

So here's what just, and I mean just happened:

I am baking a big cookie for the family dessert. Don't even get me started, I know! So this cookie that I have made before (really I have) is baking and I did everything I thought I was supposed to. Did I use my "big cookie directions"? - well, what do YOU think? Direct your attention back to the title of this blog for your answer. Again, the lesson I can't seem to learn would be to always - always use your directions. Especially for baking (stupid precise cooking method).

So the cookie looks done. Key word - looks. I let it cool, and cut into it. Now, I have a "big cookie pan" for said cookie. I can't actually tell if it's done or not but hey - letting it cool on the wire rack will allow it to cook a bit more right? Kind of like letting meat rest before you cut into it. Never compare cooking to baking.

I cut into the cookie while the family gathers around because after all, who doesn't get excited about a big cookie for dessert? I cut the first slice only to notice that it is raw in the middle.

Raw!

Back into the oven it goes. Oh, by the way...never put it back in the oven. Baking is a one shot deal. There is no "cook it for a bit more" with baking. Therefore no room for error. And I errored huge.

After more minutes in the oven I pull it out and again, family gathers around (like cats hearing you open the cat food). "Is it done?" a voice calls from my crowd....I check and - no. It is not done. It is, however, burnt. Well that's just great.

The crowd scatters.

Luckily, my big cookie pan doesn't hold a full recipe of cookie dough and I have the extra in the refrigerator. I spoon several actual normal sized blobs of dough onto a cookie sheet and bake them off. They are cooling right now.

The moral of the story is two fold.
1. Always use directions when baking
2. If you want cookies, just make cookies. Don't try to cheat with a big cookie or the result is a disappointed family. I should know.

Where is the big cookie now? Where ruined food belongs....the garbage disposal of course, where it can mock me no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment