Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cheesy Comfort

Does macaroni and cheese say "I love you" or what? But you know what really says it? Homemade macaroni and cheese, that's what. It's not as hard as you may think either.

Seriously, I could make this each and every night and I wouldn't get any complaints. I would be the one complaining that they should want to try something new! Making the same dinners over and over gets old......it doesn't translate to eating the same old dinners over and over I guess.

This is about the easiest recipes known to man! I got it from my "mom" Karla :) I learned how to make this particular recipe a few years back and continue to make it once a week to this day. This night, in fact. I am to the point where I don't need a recipe to make it. It has a really good consistency and is also good for leftovers. I would advise baking this in the deepest dish you have to keep it as moist as possible. The secret ingredient is the yellow mustard - don't omit it, just trust me.

I love dinners that don't have any drama attached to them. There are enough of those already in my life.


Macaroni and Cheese

3 ½ cups elbow macaroni (or 1 small bag or box of Mission brand or whatever. It should be about 1lb)
1 squirt yellow mustard
5 cups grated cheese (I use bagged Colby Jack and Cheddar from Costco)
3 ½ cups milk
4 tbl butter
4 tbl flour

Cook macaroni in boiling water, uncovered until al dente (you don’t want it all the way cooked). Drain

In separate pot…Melt butter in a saucepan over med low heat. Whisk in flour. Cook the flour for a minute or two. Whisk in milk and yellow mustard. Cook over moderate heat stirring constantly until sauce is thick and smooth (coats the back of a wooden spoon).

Remove sauce from heat. Add cheese and stir until melted and blended. Combine sauce with cooked macaroni. Pour into a baking dish and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment