Monday, July 23, 2012

Soup Base (It's not what you think)

One of the things I like to do (time allowed) is cook up some dishes on Sunday for the week that can be easily reheated.  Who has time to cook a new dinner EVERY night?  I don't know about you, but I WORK!  As much as I love cooking, I just don't have time/energy to do it every single night.  Antonio is getting pretty good at tossing hamburgers on the George Foreman, or making spaghetti but even he has homework etc.  Which cements my theory that doing a bunch of cooking ahead on a Sunday is a good thing indeed.

With that said, last Sunday I made a big pot of vegetable soup.  Why?  Well, it's inexpensive, can be easily reheated and best of all..YOU know what went into it so it can be as healthy or unhealthy as you like.
So I cut up all my veggies and into the pot they went.  I baaaaaarely had room for water!  I know, I got a bit carried away.
So I am eating this soup last night and thought, "this is boring".  Then it hit me.  Side bar: just so you know..I fully realize that I didn't invent the concept I am about to share.  It just kind of dawned on me.  The way pain medication "dawns" on a mother in labor.  Mother in labor - screaming and panting.  Husband/partner - would you like pain medication now?  Mother in labor - "yes!!! what a great idea".  You get the picture.

My epiphany is that this veggie soup is just a "base".  A base for soup add ins.  I guess I like the idea of veggie soup because you don't have to commit to adding a protein to it, or noodles (they mush out after a couple of days anyway) and you are free to add or not add.  Tonight, I added a handful of egg noodles and a small handful of chopped rotisserie chicken (from Costco, of course).

I know, not a new concept.  I just was thinking quasi clearly for once.

Majorly tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment