Monday, July 23, 2012

Product Review - Kirkland Signature marinara sauce


I am one of those fanatically loyal Costco shoppers.  No, really.  I teeter on the verge on cuckoo when it comes to that store.  You would think I get paid to say that?  I don't, but will certainly entertain offers ....Costco?...hello?...call me. *wink*

Truth be told, I have not tried a Kirkland Signature product I haven't liked and I am pretty picky about name brands vs. house brands.  Typically, I am let down.  Not with Costco's house brand...if you don't make it a habit to buy them, you should...they don't disappoint.  And if for some crazy reason you aren't 110% satisfied?  March it back.  Their return policy is better than Nordstrom.  Seriously.

Costco has just recently come out with their own marinara sauce.  Now, I am so NOT a jar sauce lover.    They usually always taste "jarred" or something.  I can't quite place it but if I have to use a jar I cook the "jarred"(craptastical) taste out of it while adding spices and what have you.  It's really silly and quite a process but it's the only way I can look myself in the mirror.  Jarred sauce?   Uggg.  As much as I totally heart Costco and all of it's products, I was skeptical.

Um, can I just tell you that I am so happy to be wrong.  I don't know how they did it.  This marinara, while having a slightly acidic taste right out of the jar was the most authentic flavor I have tasted in years.  The only exception (again, sold at Costco albeit not their house brand) was this other marinara called Victorias, or something.  That stuff rocked.  Now, this stuff rocks.  I could taste fresh tomato, garlic and basil.  It tasted almost freshly canned ...if that is even possible.  I loved it!

Even though I enjoy the process of making my own marinara....the new Kirkland Signature brand is my new go-to.




3 comments:

  1. I'm afraid that I don't concur. I found the Kirkland marinara sauce to be non-distinguished, overly sweet, and badly in need of doctoring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with blortch1. Low quality ingredients, bland, lacks the bright tomatoe flavor of Classico or Bertolli that they used to sell. Both of those made a great base for my meat sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this sauce to be way too acidic and tastes mostly like tomatoes. I end up having to cut it with sugar and add a bunch of italian seasoning and some garlic. I asked my wife to never buy it again.

    ReplyDelete