Sunday, April 10, 2011

Why it's awesome to have a friend who is a chef!

I was in cooking heaven last night! Our friends' Devin and Cassondra were up visiting Devin's mom with their two kids and we went over for dinner. The evening was simply delightful. The best part for me was two fold... 1. getting to know Cassondra better and 2. Getting to watch Devin cook dinner while peppering (pun intended) him with cooking questions the WHOLE time. He was very gracious and answered them all PLUS gave me a couple of recipes. Win Win Win!!

Another big THANK YOU! to Devin for answering so many questions and humoring me while I frantically scribbled notes so I wouldn't forget.....

I had asked him about the best way to cook (and not ruin) lobster tail. His suggestion was to poach it in court boullion. My French is rusty, and I asked him to translate it. Basically, it's a poaching liquid with:
1 part white wine
1 part white vinegar
1 part veg stock (homemade, of course)
1 shallot
A few peppercorns
A pinch of red pepper flakes
1 whole orange. Juiced and tossed in
1 whole lemon. Juiced and tossed in

Simmer that for 20 minutes and strain all the solids out. Then poach your lobster, fish, or whatever seafood you want in it. I am currently defrosting tilapia to poach in it even though I already have eaten dinner. I just am dying to see how it will taste.

Side note: I had a very zen start to the day....went to Bellevue Square to get some makeup I ran out of..stopped by Lucy to see what there was to see and then I hit Whole Foods on the way to 405 to get the ingredients for the stock and the boullion. Oahmmmmm.

The veg stock is as follows:
1 yellow onion chopped
About 5 or so carrots chopped
3-4 stalks of celery chopped The stems (no leaves) of flat leaf parsley chopped
10 or so peppercorns
1 bay leaf
8 cups of water

Peel the onion and carrots. Remove the root ends and any leaves (bitter) Chop everything so the pieces are small and you have what amounts to equal parts of the veg. Simmer, not boil ("no bubbles" as I was instructed) for about an hour then strain the solids and use for the bouillon or soup or whatever.

It made the house smell wonderful. Notice that there wasn't any salt? That was on purpose. Season the dish you are using the stock for...not the stock.

When I finished the court boullion (aka. poaching liquid) it has a vinegar/sweet smell. I am really interested to see how the fish turns out that I won't be eating until tomorrow...but I just couldn't wait. Veg stock simmering and those black specs are peppercorns.. The rest of the ingredients for the boullion. Boullion simmering Stay tuned for the poached fish in court boullion. Unless it's crap, then you will see nothing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment