Sunday, November 29, 2009

Day after Thanksgiving - Turkey Noodle Soup

Sasch, this one's for you!

A couple of days after Thanksgiving, the tradition in my house is we (or rather, I) make turkey noodle soup. Chris had been doing it before he met me and I have cheerily taken over this time honored Schedler family tradition. Our friend, Sascha, is usually the one to remind me that since it's almost Thanksgiving....we will be making the soup and since she lives in Arizona now, she is always sad that she won't have some. Don't worry readers, I gave her the recipe :)

I just finished making it and am currently eating a bowl so the recipe is fresh in my mind. Compared to the actual Thanksgiving dinner, this soup is a home run over the green monster and out of the park! Sad, isn't it? When the soup made from the Thanksgiving turkey is better than the actual Thanksgiving dinner.

First things first - you make turkey stock. Chicken stock simply won't do. What I do is take the turkey carcass and put it into this Nesco oven thing I have along with an onion, carrots, celery, garlic and thyme and let it simmer for hours. This year, I did it at night and let it go until the morning. The house smelled wonderful.

The stock is really the most time consuming part. Once that is done you are ready to go. Ok, this is not a low calorie soup. And you can't skimp. This soup calls for cream and you really need to just suck it up and add it. But be careful and don't add too much or you will end up with cream soup with a hint of turkey flavor. Kind of like my gravy from Thanksgiving. No bueno.

Here is the recipe. It is one of those that really doesn't have measurements. I know, I know...but once you make it you will see why not. You truly just make as much as you want with as much stuff in it as you want. Oh, a secret of mine for thickening cream based soups is to thicken them with instant mashed potatoes. Try it!


Turkey Noodle Soup

Turkey Breast diced – a handful or so
Carrots diced – about 3
Onion diced – ½
Egg Noodles – a few handfuls
Turkey or Chicken Stock – add enough to give you the desired amount of soup
Mushrooms (1 package sliced)
Heavy Whipping Cream - maybe ½ cup?

Directions:
In a stockpot saute veggies in butter together until desired doneness. Add the stock. Cook noodles separately until almost done in another pot. Add turkey and noodles to soup. Add heavy cream until it looks creamy enough (you don’t want to drown out the stock flavor though…). Season to taste. Simmer for a few minutes until heated through. If you need to thicken it, add instant mashed potatoes a bit at a time until you reach the desired thickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment