Sunday, November 29, 2009

Cashew Chicken

After the "meh" Thanksgiving of 2009, I was feeling like I needed to create a sucessful meal. Just to prove to myself that I still could.

Enter Cashew Chicken! As adapted from Everyday Food by me :)

Holy cow, this was yummy. It has the perfect balance of tangy and savory. I even used my new rice cooker from Tupperware which worked quite nicely. Now, this meal wasn't without drama. There was the matter of the small grease fire that occured under the large burner I was using to brown the chicken. I had a small panic because of course I forgot how to put such a fire out. I did remember not to put water on it however - yea for me! Note: tossing flour on a grease fire just gives you burned flour all over the place. I did get the fire out and on today's agenda is buying a new burner for our stove at Home Depot.

Back to the meal. You marinate cut up chicken in sherry and ginger, then saute it till golden. Put that aside and in the same pan saute green onions, garlic and toasted cashews. Add the sauce mixture, put the chicken back in and voila (or is it voici?) you have it. Serve over rice and yum. I think I liked it better than Chris did but I will definately make it again.



Cashew Chicken
Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons dry sherry (or cooking wine, or leave out)
2 tsp. minced, peeled, fresh ginger
3 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
coarse salt
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2/3 cup unsalted cashews, toasted
2 green onions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced

Directions
In a medium bowl, toss chicken with sherry, ginger, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch; season with salt. Refrigerate 30 minutes. In another bowl, combine broth, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Set sauce aside.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a covered plate. Add 1 teaspoon oil to skillet and cook remaining chicken (reduce heat if chicken is over-browning). Transfer to plate.
To same skillet, add 1 teaspoon oil, garlic, cashews, and green onion whites. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic begins to soften, about 30 seconds. Whisk sauce and add to skillet along with chicken. Cook until sauce thickens, about 30 seconds. Top with green onion greens and serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment