Sunday, January 9, 2011

Just "meh" Mahi Mahi with tomatoes and olives

So I have alllllll this Mahi Mahi. I tried a couple of things with it, and they were ok. Maybe what I needed was an actual "recipe" for mahi mahi? I have just been adapting my favorite tilapia recipes thus far. My final verdict is no. No, you don't need a special mahi mahi recipe to make a good fish dish with this stuff. Just don't cook with it. Ok, back it up...yes, it tastes fine. Yes, to all the whatever questions. I just don't think I care for the texture. Don't misunderstand..the recipe is good, and I would and will make it again but once I run out of the mahi...it's gone for good. It just can't compete with my tilapia loins from Costco. Geez, my intro must really make you want to read further and make this right? Hahaha. Just keeping it real. But seriously, it is a good recipe. I made a big batch and ate it all week for dinner.

Mahi-Mahi in tomato-olive sauce (as adapted from Bon Appetit)

Ingredients:
2 tbl olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup dry white wine
1 tsp anchovy paste (seriously...not even sure what this ads to the recipe)
2-14oz cans diced tomatoes
4 6oz mahi mahi fillets
1/2 cup large green olives. Pitted and quartered
3 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1 tsp (packed) finely grated orange zest

K. So you saute the onion in the oil until it starts to turn translucent. Add wine and anchovy paste. Again, not sure what the anchovy paste does. I happened to have it (go figure) so I added it. Reduce it until the liquid is about 3/4 cup. Add tomatoes, juice and all and bring to a boil.

Lightly salt and pepper the fish. Place the fish on TOP of the tomato mixture. Reduce heat to low, cover and gently simmer until fish is cooked. 7-9 minutes. How do you know when the fish is done? I just took a piece out and cut it in half. Mine wasn't ...so back in the pot it went. Oh, by the way..this fish is reeeeeealy easy to overcook as I have done so each time I have tried to cook it. Whatever, I am just dealing with it until it's all gone.

Fish on top of simmering sauce..

When the fish is done take it out and put on a plate tented with foil to keep it warm. Mine got cold, but the sauce kind of heats it back up a smudge. Add the olives, oregano and orange peel to the sauce and reduce on high until it is thickened. Season to taste with salt and or pepper. Serve over fish.

Seriously, if anyone makes this and doesn't agree with me about the texture of the fish please let me know what the error of my ways is. I am over it at this point. The picture didn't turn out so good because I just noticed that you can't even see the fish. Trust me, there is fish under there.

Sorry mahi mahi, I am just not that in to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment