Monday, August 9, 2010

I don't feel like cooking in the Summer

I know, I KNOW!!!

1. Where have you been?
2. It's been a long time since you have updated your blog.
3. Don't you cook anymore?
4. When are you going to post something new.

Here's the deal. I just don't feel like cooking in the Summer. That's all. Not very exciting is it? I could make up a grand story I suppose...but that is too much work. The truth is always easiest.

So yesterday even though the calendar says Summer, looking outside I can't be sure. Since it wasn't raining (at that moment) I thought it would be a good night to barbecue. Well, have Chris barbecue.

On the menu tonight:
Barbecued boneless chicken breasts
Barbecued artichokes
Fruit salad
Caprese salad
Boxed rice loaded with preservatives (for Chris). I know.

I am absolutely ADDICTED to the farmers market that runs from June or whenever to September at the Everett waterfront. Fresh veggies, seasonal fruits, the best clam chowder and local people selling their home made yummies. I have found two things this particular Summer that I can't live without and those are 1. This dill cucumber dip (http://www.artisandips.com/) that you mix with sour cream and I am hard pressed to find something it DOESN'T taste good on. Good with fish and chicken. It's also good as a dip with veggies. Yum! 2. These two gals with a company called Walden Lane Gourmet. They blend their own spices. I am hooked! I bought 4 to start with (Skagit Fisherman's Blend, Curry Rub, Rosemary Garlic and Mustard Rub, and my personal fav. - Walden Lane House Seasoning) http://www.waldenlanegourmet.com/ . That being said I will get back to the meal.

Boneless chicken breasts are good and bad. Bad, because you have to figure out what to do with them to make them taste like something. Good, because they are so versatile. See what I mean. I decided to marinate them with a bit of olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice (1/2 a lemon) and a sprinkle of the Walden Lane House Seasoning.

We needed a vegetable. I had 2 fresh artichokes left over from my Costco trip so I steamed them, cut them in 1/2 and removed the choke. Marinated with a bit of olive oil, the other 1/2 of lemon juiced and the "Chris" seasoning that we use at our house. When they were done, we dipped them in the dill cucumber dip mmmmm

Caprese salad was for me instead of the yummy boxed rice. I wanted the rice but was good and made the caprese salad instead. For those who are like, a whaaa? It's basically, fresh mozzarella basil and sliced tomato drizzled in a light vinaigrette of sorts. I had all three on hand so that is what decided that.

Fruit salad Honestly, it just sounded good.. And rice, well Chris needed some sort of starch and I had it in the pantry. I could have made a rice pilaf from scratch but please refer to the title of this blog for the reason why I didn't.

Dinner was yummy. I still am not very motivated to cook. Maybe I should blog about take-out next time? Or, not.

No comments:

Post a Comment