Monday, September 14, 2009

A typical dinner for me

Sadly, I rarely eat the dinners I make. Just can't do it anymore. I seriously hate to admit that, but depending on what number your age starts with....you feel me. So - 5 out of 6 nights I cook a different dinner for myself, usually fish. I really like the Tilapia loins that Costco has frozen and vacuumed sealed individually. They defrost fast and they take on the flavor of whatever you put them in or put on them. I totally heart them! I try to keep at least one extra in the freezer because occasionally Costco will be out. I try not to throw hissy fits in public, and keeping an extra has saved me more than once.

Another great find is frozen brown rice. LOVE it! For those among you who have cooked brown rice you know. Can it take any more time to do it? 45 minutes later, I am not sure I'm hungry anymore. Fret no more....this rice cooks in the microwave in 3 1/2 minutes and it has a yummy chewy texture. Great to reheat and very nutritious. It's with the frozen veggies and it's Birds Eye Steam Fresh (I think). I highly recommend it.

Another good thing to fill up on (that, and all my meals need some kind of crunch) is salad. The greener the lettuce leaf, the more nutritious it is. Again, Costco to the rescue. Now, I am not one of those nutjobs who would rather eat like this. No. I would rather have the meatloaf, pizza, lasagna...... I just know that if I want to fit into my clothes, I have to cut things out and watch the portions. Thank you father time! Don't get me wrong...I don't eat healthy every day, but I pick and choose where to blow it. Weeknight dinners usually isn't the time or place for that.

I have included the recipe I used for tonight's fish, but I have cooked it every which way but Sunday and this particular fish had never let me down.

Baked Fish

2 Tilapia Loins (defrosted)
1 TB chopped green onion (the green parts)
Sliced lemon
1 pat of butter – not fake butter…real unsalted butter
Chris seasoning (see meatloaf blog)

Preheat oven to 325
Put fish in a baking dish and sprinkle with onion and spice. Lay a few lemon slices on each piece. Dot each with butter. Cover with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes until fish is cooked.

That’s it.

No comments:

Post a Comment